Wednesday, August 23, 2017

In the blink of an eye...

...I have 14 Monarch caterpillars this early morning. The 'nurseries' have all been cared for (fresh paper towels, more leaves if needed and misted). Now I wait some more. They are so tiny that I use reading glasses and a magnifying glass to see them. This stage is called first instar, they will have 5 before they change into their chrysalis. Just think about this....they will have grown 2000% in size. It would be like us growing to the size bus and in less then 3 weeks!! WOW.

Stay tune for more updates.  *smile* 

3 comments:

Jane McLellan said...

That's so exciting!

Cindy said...

This is so cool! I have the milkweed, just no eggs. Well, that I've seen anyway! I'll just keep making sure I spread the milkweed seeds out in my back wooded edge of the yard!

Nancy G said...

Give it time Cindy, they will come. Always check your milkweed. I didn't see any last year and reared 12 and released last fall. This fall I only saw one male. Go figure. Good luck.