Monday, September 17, 2012

In the mood for cooking...

You may or may not know I am a Cajun born and reared in South Louisiana. Like they say you can take the girl out of the south, but you can't take the south out of the girl. So true.

I love a Cajun gumbo with chicken and sausage. This is much like a soup, served over rice. Since it takes about 2-3 hours to simmer, the cool weather inspired me it was time! To really be 'home cooking' its best served with potato salad and french bread.

I was taught to make it many, many years ago with the servings size of about 25!!! lol  Okay perhaps a smaller amount but NOT MUCH! 

So, last week I broke down and made some for me. Since the kids have moved away, I am the only one that LOVES it. You know how it is. Much of the time I think, why bother. Well...I did make a fantastic small pot full and ate it for 3 wonderful meals! Takes away a bit of the 'homesickness'...



Boy, I must really be on a roll! I just love Pinterest! Found this cool recipe for mini baked donuts and this is what I did yesterday. For my first try they came out pretty good, if I may say so myself. Even DH had a few...and he's like the little kid from the commercials years ago.."Mikey, he doesn't like anything'! LOL

The stand up ones are plain and the others are spiced with cinnamon sugar and nutmeg and cloves. 
Good thing I used half of the recipe, I have about 2 dozen mini donuts!


1 comment:

Fox said...

Man! That gumbo looks amazing! I'd be more than agreeable to share this with you! I LOVE Cajun cooking and I do not know how to use a stove - or matches - or fire or a microwave.... you get the picture!
Fox : ))